Thursday 20 December 2007

CRM 4.0 - Installation with no Internet Access

The current set of downloadable files for CRM 4.0 do not include some pre-requisite software (including .Net 3.0 framework and Visual C++ redistributable). If this software is not already installed and the setup program can't find it locally, the CRM setup program can download the files from the Internet, which is fine, if you have Internet access from the CRM server...

If you don't have Internet access you can pre-install these components, except the Visual C++ redistributable which cannot be reliably detected, so the CRM setup program will always try to install it.

Therefore, without Internet access, you have to have a local copy of the Visual C++ redistributable locally. Philip Richardson's blog describes where to put these files, so I won't bother repeating it here, but there are a couple of extra things that it might help to know:
  1. CRM setup checks the version of the local copy of the redistributable, and if it's not what it expects, will again try to connect to the Internet. You can identify this scenario from the setup log; the message is "Error when checking signature", though oddly it's marked as an Info message
  2. CRM setup only checks for local files when it starts. So if, like me, you get to the screen where it expects to download the files, realise it won't be able to, then copy them locally, then go Back, Forward, it won't help. Instead, exit setup completely and start over again

As to Internet access from the CRM server, in most circumstances this can be achieved from a VPC image with the use of more than one network adapter. See my earlier post

2 comments:

DB said...

I can't for the life of me get the install to see the vcredist_x86.exe file. I am trying to install the client on Windows XP and I have put the folder structure correctly I think. All the other pre-reqs are found and install from the local source, but not the Visual C++. I'm install from C:\Microsoft CRM 4.0 Client\Client\setupclient.exe. Based on that folder structure, where should the vcredist_x86.exe file be located?

DB said...

I can't for the life of me get the install to see the vcredist_x86.exe file. I am trying to install the client on Windows XP and I have put the folder structure correctly I think. All the other pre-reqs are found and install from the local source, but not the Visual C++. I'm install from C:\Microsoft CRM 4.0 Client\Client\setupclient.exe. Based on that folder structure, where should the vcredist_x86.exe file be located?