Wednesday 14 November 2012

Reporting Services log files

This should be a very brief post. I find myself replying to many posts in the CRM forums about reporting problems, and most commonly direct people to the Reporting Services log file(s), which provides a lot of potentially useful information. The main information you can get is:
  • More detail than CRM will provide on errors running a given report
  • Whether or not a report is being run
In general, I find the information reported in the log files to be self-explanatory, but if I find examples of messages than could benefit from further explanation, then I'll post them here.

The log files are in the Reporting Services\LogFiles folder within the Reporting Services directory. On a default instance on SQL 2008 R2, this would be:

%Program Files%\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS10_50.MSSQLSERVER\Reporting Services\LogFiles

4 comments:

Kristen Smelser said...

"Unhandled Exception! Please report the log file c:\ProgramData\Search Protection\log1.txt"

I received this message. What does it mean? Report to who?

Kristen Smelser said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
David Jennaway said...

Kirsten. This error looks like it is from your anti-virus software, or something similar. I don't think it's a Reporting Services error. The contents of the log1.txt may give you more information

Unknown said...

I really enjoyed reading your article. I found this as an informative and interesting post, so i think it is very useful and knowledgeable. I would like to thank you for the effort you have made in writing this article.

http://axadsystem.com/advertising-management-software